Google Pixel and Pixel XL are latest Android smartphone from the Google, and both the new phone are running on the latest Android Nougat. Many of the Google phone’s fans already bought the phone and looking for the war to Root Google Pixel and Pixel XL. Here in this guide, we provide you the full details to root the Pixel phones. To root the phone first, you need to unlock the bootloader of your pixel phone, after that you have to flash the TWRP custom Recovery on your phone and in the end you need to flash the Super Su zip file to get the Root Access on pixel phones.
One the device is rooted you can enjoy lots of rooted application on your phone, install the Xposed framework to customize your phone as per your need, take the full backup of your system within android backup and install custom ROMS. The whole process is a litter bit lengthy but not so difficult all you need some patience and Windows PC to get started.
This tutorial is for only Google Pixel and Pixel users and don’t follow this guide on any other android smartphone otherwise; you will brick your phone and we technobuzz team is not responsible for that. Follow this guide at your own risk and read all the instruction very carefully and follow all the below mention steps one by one on your phone. Make sure to take the full backup of your phone. So let us get started and Root Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Unlock Bootloader and Install TWRP.
Download Files to Root Google Pixel
a) Download and install ADB and fastboot files here and install the same on your Windows PC. Now you will see the ADB folder on your Windows C Drive (C:/ADB).
b) Download TWRP recovery image and zip file from the below mention link. This will allow you to install the TWRP custom recovery on your phone and also help you install custom ROMs on your phone.
c) Download Super Su Zip file for Pixel and Pixel XL here. You need to flash this zip file on your phone with the help of TWRP custom recovery to get the Root access on your phone.
Once download all the files go to the next steps and follow all the steps one by one on your phone.
Unlock Bootloader of Google Pixel, Pixel XL
The first and most important step is to unlock the bootloader of your phone. This process will remove all the data on your phone. So do take the backup of all your pixel phone data.
If you already unlocked the Bootloader on your phone then leave this step and go to the next step.
1. Go into Settings/About Phone, scroll down and click on “build number” continuously until you see a toast notification telling you that you’ve enabled Developer Options.
Go back to your Settings menu and enter Developer Options, scroll down and click on the “Enable OEM Unlock” checkbox, also make sure you enable USB Debugging while you’re in the Developer Options menu.
2. Now open the ADB folder on your Windows C drive that you created while installing the ADB files on your PC.
3. Connect your phone to the PC and open a command window in your fastboot/adb folder (C:\adb\). To do this Hold Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on the empty space of the folder. See the screenshot:-
4. Now the command prompt windows will appear on your desktop. And enter the following command, and you will see the screen with a list of devices attached. This means the drivers are properly installed, and your android is successfully connected to the window PC.
5. Now enter the following command to boot your phone into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
6. Now your phone will boot in fastboot. To unlock the bootloader of your phone enter this command.
fastboot flashing unlock
This will erase all user data from the device!
7. You should now see a screen on your phone asking you to confirm this action, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to confirm if you’re sure you want to go ahead.
Allow the process to complete and then issue this command:
Now your phone will reboot, and you’ll be greeted with a warning that says “Your device software can’t be checked for corruption. Please lock the bootloader”. This is nothing to worry about; it’s normal to see this when you have an unlocked bootloader.
Done. The bootloader is unlocked, and now the next step is to flash the TWRP custom recovery on your phone.
How to Flash TWRP Custom Recovery on Pixel, Pixel XL
1. Download TWRP zip file from the above download section and save the zip file on your phone.
2. Also copy twrp img file on your ADB folder that you created while install ADB files on your PC (C:/ADB)
3. Connect your phone to the PC and open a command window in your fastboot/adb folder (C:\adb\). To do this Hold Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on the empty space of the folder.
4. Now enter the following command to boot your phone into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
5. Now, type the following command and hit Enter to boot your phone into TWRP recovery:
Command for Pixel fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-alpha2-fastboot-sailfish.img
Command for Pixel XL fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-alpha2-fastboot-marlin.img
6. This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the TWRP zip files your phone.
7. When done, reboot your phone.
Now the TWRP custom recovery is successfully installed on your phone.
How to Root Pixel, Pixel XL
1. Download the latest SuperSU zip file from the Download section and save the zip file on your phone.
2. Boot into TWRP recovery. To do this hold the volume down and power buttons simultaneously (like you’re taking a screenshot). From there, press the volume down button twice to highlight the “Recovery Mode” option, then tap the power button to select it.
3. Now from the recovery select the “Install” Option and navigate to where you have SuperSU stored on your internal storage and select it.
4. Swipe to install.
That’s it, reboot and SuperSU installed successfully on your phone.
So with the help of this guide, you can easily unlock the Bootloader of Pize, Install TWRP on Pixel phone and root the Pixel and Pixel XL. Have you installed a root on your Google Pixel? Let us know about it in the comments.