Official TWRP Custom Recovery is now available for the Google Pixel and Pixel XL Android phones. As you guys know that Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is one of the most famous custom recoveries for the Android phone. And it allows you to install the Custom Kernel, Custom ROMs, Flash zip files, nandroid backup and lots more. TEAM Win developer Ethan Yonker (Dees Troy) has just released the first TWRP alpha for the Google Pixel and Pixel XL. To install the TWRP recovery on your phone all you nee a pixel phone with the unlocked bootloader.
Once the TWRP recovery in installed on your pixel phone,s you can easily get the root access on your phone with the help of Super Su zip file. Here in this guide, we’ll show you How to Install TWRP on Pixel and Pixel XL. This time to install the TWRP on your phone you need to first temporarily BOOT the TWRP on your phone and after that you need to flash the recovery installer zip to install TWRP recovery on both slots of your Pixel phones.
Table of Contents
Download Pixel, Pixel XL TWRP recovery installer zip and Fastboot images
- Google Pixel (sailfish):
- Google Pixel XL (marlin):
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Google Pixel and Pixel XL
1. First, you have to unlock the bootloader of your phone. See here how to unlock bootloader on Pixel Phones
2. Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC from here. This will help you to run fastboot command from your Windows PC.
3. Download the TWRP recovery .img file for your phone and save the same in the ADB folder that you created above while installing the ADB drivers.
4. Download and transfer the TWRP installer zip file on your Pixel phone.
5. Now on your phone Enable USB debugging option. First enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times
6. Now go back to Settings » Developer options menu. Enable USB Debugging.
7. Now connect your Pixel phone to the PC with the help of USB cable.
8. Open the ADB folder that you created while installing the ADB and Fastboot drivers. Now press and hold ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in the folder and select ‘Open command window here’.
9. Now boot your Pixel device into bootloader mode using the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
10. Once your phone in fastboot mode. Enter the following command to boot your phone in TWRP recovery.
For Pixel (sailfish): fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-alpha2-fastboot-sailfish.img
For Pixel XL (marlin): fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-alpha2-fastboot-marlin.img
Your Pixel phone will now boot into TWRP recovery.
11. Now from the TWRP recovery Select Install » select the TWRP installer zip file that you saved on your phone in step 4 and then do a Swipe at the bottom bar to confirm flashing the file. This will install TWRP recovery to both slots on your Pixel phone.
Now the Official TWRP recovery is installed on your Pixel or Pixel XL phone.
Root Pixel and Pixel XL with Super Su zip file
Download SuperSU v2.78 SR4 zip on your phone and flash the same with the help of TWRP recovery. Now your phone is rooted. Enjoy !!